Monday, August 18, 2014

the one with the good things

Okay, God. I get it.

This whole "stay-at-home-mom" thing was not exactly my idea. If I'm being honest (and I might as well be - it's fairly obvious to most people), it was pretty far down on my list of things I ever thought I would do. Like... ever. But here I am.

And it's a good thing.

It's a good thing I'm home instead of working for many reasons--reasons that are obvious, reasons that are logistical, reasons that are being thrown in my face. Here are just a few:

We spent the last 10 days of July traveling for big family events. If you know anything about me as a teacher, the close of July is usually crunch time and stress-filled. But I didn't have to worry over being ready as soon as we returned. And it's a good thing.

We returned on August 3rd to a house with no A/C. Sleeping that night was tough enough (I don't do heat); sleeping that night with heat and the anxiety of school starting the next day would have been impossible. But I didn't have to be ready and presentable on Monday. And it's a good thing.

Just before we walked into that sauna, Darin received a call that his great-grandmother had passed away. I spent Monday staying out of our hot house and doing laundry at mom's in order to not make it any hotter. Then we turned around and drove to Michigan early on Tuesday for the visitation, funeral on Wednesday, and drove home on Thursday. Friday was the first full day for students in our county, so I would have either missed the funeral or missed the first week of school. But I didn't have to make that choice. And it's a good thing.


Last week was spent getting ready for a reception to celebrate my brother's marriage. It was fun and tedious and creative and exciting and long and all done during the day when I wasn't working. And it's a good thing.


And then there's today. TODAY.

Today I woke up to the sound of Jackson throwing up in bed. In case you feel like your alarm clock is a terrible way to wake up, this sound is far worse. Ugghhh. But you know what? I didn't even have to think twice about how on earth we were going to take care of him on this Monday morning.

And it's a good God thing.

But I think I get it now! I'm ready to be totally thankful for the ability to stay home. And I promise, God, that I don't need anymore of these type of reminders (though I'm sure they will come). I know any of these things on top of school would not have been a good mix for me. And, while I do miss my job, I am so thankful for the opportunity to work on this part of my life. The part where I get to spend the first 30 minutes of Mady's first day of school ever in her classroom watching her. The part where I get to sit in the car line every day to pick her up after school. The part where I get to spend some awesome one-on-one time with my little homebody, Jackson. The part where I get to think through dinner and our evening... which is what I should be doing right now! SO thankful.

(Side note: Turns out Jackson's fine. My kids do this awesome thing when they're stuffy. My dad would tell you that I was equally as awesome.)

No comments:

Post a Comment