Monday, October 20, 2014

the one that made a difference


I've been struggling lately with the idea that I make any difference in this world. Eventually I'll stop talking about everything in this way, but it truly is just another part of quitting my job. My daily interactions used to include 150+ students. Not to mention my colleagues or administration or student council or past students. Or even the wonderful people who took care of Mady Jane and Jackson at their daycare and at Riverdale Preschool. When I quit my job, my world shrunk in a fairly prodigious way. And it just feels like one of the most difficult things in the world to me to go out and get involved in something right now. If I'm being honest, it's a huge fear of mine that is totally not okay, and I'm working on it. Or at least I'm working on the idea that I should be working on it. :)

My bible study is currently reading Interrupted by Jen Hatmaker. The idea of being the hands and feet of Jesus... of really acting on what we believe Jesus would do for people... living out a life of active love... the idea of taking care of the least of these... these ideas come at a very frustrating time for me. It is so bothering me. Why now? As a teacher in a public high school, the opportunity to put my beliefs into action was a constant. There was an enormous amount of need placed in front of my face daily. But now?

I know without a doubt that I am where I'm supposed to be, but it is a struggle at times. I'm not saying I was the best teacher. I'm not saying I changed lives or even affected most of them. But I sure had the opportunity to do so. Every single day. It was just right there before me - Here you go, Cassie. The OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

So now what?

I sat down this morning to research some ideas. I mean, I volunteer at Mady's school each week, and I love that. But let's be real - I have a toddler every other day of the week (which I also love, don't get me wrong), so I have to be a little creative. And by "be a little creative" I mean "find someone else's creative ideas." I really just googled "make a difference." I don't know. I didn't know where to start.

Um.

DID YOU KNOW THIS SATURDAY IS "MAKE A DIFFERENCE" DAY? You guys. I googled it. I googled "make a difference" and there it was, right there before me: Join us on October 25 2014 for Make a Difference Day. There are links to ideas and local events. It's a beautiful idea, really, to rally together and get things done in our communities. Ironically, Darin had already planned to be a part of an outreach event this weekend with his group of guys. How cool is that? So now to find my place. And a place for my kids - because how great would it be for Mady to see the importance in this. Challenge accepted!

Feeling challenged?

Check out their website at http://makeadifferenceday.com/ or let me know what ideas you might have. We just might join you!

For more than 20 years, USA WEEKEND Magazine, in collaboration with Points of Light, has brought you Make A Difference Day, the nation’s largest day of community service. Make A Difference Day is a celebration of neighbors helping neighbors. Millions of volunteers from across the nation will unite in a common mission to improve the lives of others on Make A Difference Day, Saturday, October 25, 2014. The stories told around Make A Difference Day show that anyone – regardless of age, location or resources – can accomplish amazing things when they take on the problems they see in their community.

No comments:

Post a Comment